Saturday, May 20, 2006

The day Sammie died

Well, our road trip last weekend was more eventful than I'd like to say it was. We decided to take Sammie, the cutest sandy-blonde pet rat you've ever laid eyes on, to Sacramento with us. Whenever we stopped, we toted her around on our shoulders ignoring signs at stores like REI that said, "Please leave your pets outside." It's not that we're that attached to her; it's just that she's been very sick since we gave her a flea bath 3 weeks ago.

Apparently the active ingredient in the SMALL ANIMAL Flea Treatment (specifically designed for mice, hamsters, guinea pigs, etc.) can cause an allergic reaction in your small pet and they can DIE. Isn't there a warning on the label, you might ask? No, only small pets, happily enjoying their new flea-free existence. The sad thing is that my wonderful hubby conducted the treatment in my absence because he didn't want to subject me and Munchie to any unnecessary chemicals. We all know that it is in no way his fault, but I think that he felt somewhat responsible for her.

We noticed that she wasn't feeling herself: decreased appetite, very sedentary, weight loss. It was a sad day, but we held out hope that she would recover because she'd seem a bit better and then take a turn for the worse again. We ended up calling the pet hospital in Arcata. Thankfully, they determined our case was an emergency and put me through to the vet on call, who told me to bathe her 10 times so as to completely cleanse her fur of the cursed flea treatment. We had a little bathing ceremony, blow-dried her, and served her up fresh fruits and veggies. I hope she felt pampered.

We thought she was in full recovery, but as the days went by, we noticed she wasn't getting any better. Then the day came, while we were in Sacramento, when I knew that she was indeed dying. Our poor little Sammie had to spend her last hours driving back through winding mountain roads, being tossed about ferociously. I felt so sorry for her and tried to hold her, but she just wanted a dark little corner. Anyway, I'll spare you the rest of the gory details. But I do want to give props to Renee who was her faithful backseat buddy the whole time. She didn't even mind riding next to Sammie's little lifeless body so we could bury her at home.

That's our sad tale of the pet-killing flea treatment.

3 comments:

urban mama said...

I am so sorry to hear that. I will not even be able to tell Nickoli because he would be so sad and he only new her for a day. I am sure you will miss her.

devon said...

I'm so sorry too, Megan. She was your good friend and we won't forget her. We love you two and hope that your hearts mend in good time.

Lisa said...

Oh that is so sad! You guys were the best parents a rat could ever have. I never new a rat loved so well.