Monday, August 14, 2006

My husband went to work today for the first time since our wedding...

and I'm getting a taste of what life will be like soon...

Ok, so Marc works. But we definitely have a unique lifestyle-living and working in community together. I love it. We've barely spent a day apart for the first 9 months of marriage. We see each other day and night. I think it's a good thing for a couple who only "dated" for 2 weeks and were engaged for 2 months. We're still dating each other, really.

But today Marc went to work for our friend, Scott, who's doing a roofing job about 45 miles from here. Sure, we're still on vacation, but why not try to make a buck or two (or maybe 50) when the opportunity arises? So this morning Marc packed up a lunch and took off for the worksite while I remained in Tahoe, lounging in the sun with the fam.

I think there's something I've been missing in the experience of being a stay-at-home wife and mom and I just realized that I've been looking forward to this for a long time, like, all my life. Don't get me wrong, i have absolutely loved my roles at Prodigal Project and Emmaus Ministries. They've been very fulfilling and I'm so thankful that God has used me to show His love to the poor and outcasts of society. But now that I'm on the brink of motherhood, I'm ready to jump into this entirely new role.

I'm sure some of you moms out there will warn me that it's not all I'm imagining it to be, but I can't wait to have our own home to cook in, clean, and organize. I can't wait to have my very own kitchen to prepare healthy, delicious meals for my family. I can't wait to decorate, to get together with my old girlfriends from Chicago who've just had their first babies, and to have my parents over for dinner.

I don't want to start living a conventional suburban life, untouched by poverty, suffering, and the gritty life of the city. I still want to choose to love those who are hard to love and to lay my life down in ways that are uncomfortable. But I am confident that our Dad has a nitch for us back in Chicago, even if we don't know what it is yet. I'm excited and really ready for this adventure in motherhood to begin...in more ways than one!

3 comments:

ginag said...

I am ready for you to come back to Chicago too! Even though I do not have a little one, I can't wait to see you and yours. :)

Lisa said...

Yeah, I thought the transition was kinda hard but after that I did really start to enjoy all those things you're looking forward to. Except I didn't have any friends so that's a huge plus that you have some waiting there for you. (and we'll be like as far away as fortuna!)

1weirdgirl said...

hey girl...
i just want to say that it really is all you're imagining, and more. and even better.. by far... there is no trade off for those first years: first words, first steps, first kisses and hugs, and i'm still waiting for the first 'i love you mama' (she's still learning 2 word sentences)
and even on those days, that it is hard, and overwhelming, i just want to encourage you now, to remember this anticipation, and really love and cherish motherhood... it goes by so fast, i know i only just started, but now, even only working 5 hour shifts, i feel like i miss so much of their lives... it really is the best and most wonderful blessing, to have a family to love and care for, and it gets better and better, i am learning...
and you may even find that those times of 'ministry' were a type of preperation...
anyway, i love you, and think you'll be a great mother, and you will see.. even the rough stuff people warn you about is so worth it