Friday, July 14, 2006

Why don't pregnancy hormones come with an "Off" switch?

It's funny, just the other day, as I was remarking that I haven't had any PMD's (pregnancy melt-downs) for a while, I felt it coming...like I was jynxing myself. Knock on wood. It came in full force: an onslaught of hormone-driven emotions. Only this time around, it's a little different. I'm definitely more sensitive (as usual) but more than that, I just feel blue. Whenever I'm not doing something, this feeling of sadness comes over me and I can't figure out what is causing it. Except for the alien that's taken my body hostage and is changing my brain chemistry.

In the meantime, Marc is still the best husband in the world, putting down whatever he's doing and listening to me talk about being sad for no reason (that is, after I stare at the wall with a really depressed look on my face for a while). I'm thankful for him.

I'm also thankful for my friends, who have so much grace and understanding. I just talked with my old roommate, Deb, from Chicago, who gave birth to her first baby 2 weeks ago. It's so nice to have friends that are experiencing exactly what you're experiencing at the same time. I have to give her serious props though, because Sam was 9lbs. 12oz. and she had a grueling labor (including back labor and pitocin, eeek!) I digress. My point is this: pregnancy hormones aren't my best friend in the world, but I'm so glad that I have great friends and family with whom to share this time in my life.

No comments: